Samantha Ricketts and her Mississippi State softball team have a great opportunity to go out and win a series on the road against one of the best teams in the country.
Things looked pretty bleak at the start of this series. Mississippi State was unable to string together any hits on Friday and the Bulldogs could not keep up with the Tennessee Lady Vols in game 1. As a result, Mississippi State lost to Tennessee 9-1 in five innings.
The Bulldogs were run-ruled. That’s never any fun.
That said, while the Bulldogs may have dropped their first game against the Lady Vols in frustrating fashion, Mississippi State surged back in game 2 and beat Tennessee 8-3. The Bulldogs were impressive in game 2 as they hit three home runs and were able to jump out to an early lead that Tennessee was unable to get past.
The Bulldogs evened this SEC series in a pretty impressive fashion.
Now Mississippi State is looking to win the series. Game 3 between the Bulldogs and Lady Vols will get started at 11 a.m. Here’s what you need to keep up with the final game of the series.
The Bulldogs might want to bundle up a bit while they’re in Knoxville. The weather should be pretty good for this series, but most of the games will be a little chilly. Here’s what the weather forecast looks like for Knoxville for when the games will get started on Saturday and Sunday, according to Weather.com.
- Sunday, April 3: 52 degrees and sunny
- Kiki Milloy: Throughout the season, Kiki Milloy has been solid at the plate. She’s a dangerously consistent hitter and also happens to lead the Lady Vols in home runs. With a .386 batting average and 11 home runs on the season, Milloy is someone the Bulldogs will need to account for this weekend.
- Zaida Puni: While she may not be quite as good as Milloy, Zaida Puni is another dangerous hitter that Mississippi State will need to keep an eye on. So far this season, Puni has a .289 batting average and has managed to hit 7 home runs. Puni is prone to being struck out with 24 strikeouts so far on the season, but if she gets contact, there’s a decent chance that ball will end up out of the park.
- Erin Edmoundson: The Tennessee Lady Vols have an incredibly good pitcher on their roster in Erin Edmoundson. The graduate student from Deer Park, Texas, has shown that she can be effective time and time again this season. At the moment, Edmoundson has a 1.64 ERA and has managed to strike out 83 of the batters she’s faced in 102.1 innings pitched.
Games 1 and 2 of the Bulldogs facing off against the Lady Vols will be available to watch on SEC Network+. Game 3, on Sunday, will be broadcast on SEC Network. All three games can be streamed online or by using the ESPN app. Click the following links below to watch the Bulldogs battle the Lady Vols.
Keep up with Mississippi State softball online: Live stats and Twitter
- Are you looking for live stats to keep up with the Mississippi State softball series against the Tennessee Lady Vols? Click here.
- Looking for the official Mississippi State softball twitter account? You can find that by clicking here.
Let’s do some good
- Who? Compassion International
- What do they do? Through partnering with local churches and communities across the globe, Compassion International is able to make an impact and help elevate children out of poverty. Their goal is to “release children from poverty,” provide opportunities for education, and to teach communities about Jesus.
- How can I learn more about them? Check out Compassion International’s about page by clicking here.
- Are they on social media? Visit Compassion International’s Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook accounts.
Categories: Mississippi State Softball