After a rough showing Friday evening, Samantha Ricketts and her Mississippi State softball team will be looking to bounce back in Game 2 of the Bulldogs’ series against the Tennessee Lady Vols.
Friday evening, the Mississippi State Bulldogs saw their winning streak end at 7 games. The Bulldogs, unfortunately, were unable to keep up with the Lady Vols and, as a result, ended up losing in frustrating fashion. Mississippi State simply had no answer for anything Tennessee accomplished and the Bulldogs lost 9-1 in just five innings.
The lone bright spot in Mississippi State’s Friday evening loss was this solo shot home run from Matalasi Faapito.
Being run-ruled sucks. Especially for a team that seemed like it was moving in the right direction after some issues early on in the season.
But today is a new day and sometimes frustrating losses happen, even for good teams.
Maybe Ricketts’ Bulldogs can get back on track and put themselves in position to win this series when they face off against the Lady Vols Saturday afternoon. Mississippi State and Tennessee will meet up for game 2 at 1 p.m. CT. Here’s everything you need to watch this Mississippi State softball game:
Mississippi State softball: Bulldogs vs. Tennessee Lady Vols Game 2 weather prediction
The Bulldogs might want to bundle up a bit while they’re in Knoxville. The weather should be pretty good for this series, but most of the games will be a little chilly. Here’s what the weather forecast looks like for Knoxville for when the games will get started on Saturday and Sunday, according to Weather.com.
- Saturday, April 2: 58 degrees and cloudy
- Sunday, April 3: 52 degrees and sunny
Mississippi State softball: 3 Tennessee players to watch in Game 2
- Kiki Milloy: Throughout the season, Kiki Milloy has been solid at the plate. She’s a dangerously consistent hitter and also happens to lead the Lady Vols in home runs. With a .386 batting average and 11 home runs on the season, Milloy is someone the Bulldogs will need to account for this weekend.
- Zaida Puni: While she may not be quite as good as Milloy, Zaida Puni is another dangerous hitter that Mississippi State will need to keep an eye on. So far this season, Puni has a .289 batting average and has managed to hit 7 home runs. Puni is prone to being struck out with 24 strikeouts so far on the season, but if she gets contact, there’s a decent chance that ball will end up out of the park.
- Erin Edmoundson: The Tennessee Lady Vols have an incredibly good pitcher on their roster in Erin Edmoundson. The graduate student from Deer Park, Texas, has shown that she can be effective time and time again this season. At the moment, Edmoundson has a 1.64 ERA and has managed to strike out 83 of the batters she’s faced in 102.1 innings pitched.
Mississippi State softball: How to watch Bulldogs vs. Tennessee Lady Vols Game 2
Games 1 and 2 of the Bulldogs facing off against the Lady Vols will be available to watch on SEC Network+. Game 3, on Sunday, will be broadcast on SEC Network. All three games can be streamed online or by using the ESPN app. Click the following links below to watch the Bulldogs battle the Lady Vols.
Keep up with Mississippi State softball online: Live stats and Twitter
- Are you looking for live stats to keep up with the Mississippi State softball series against the Tennessee Lady Vols? Click here.
- Looking for the official Mississippi State softball twitter account? You can find that by clicking here.
Let’s do some good
- Who? Compassion International
- What do they do? Through partnering with local churches and communities across the globe, Compassion International is able to make an impact and help elevate children out of poverty. Their goal is to “release children from poverty,” provide opportunities for education, and to teach communities about Jesus.
- How can I learn more about them? Check out Compassion International’s about page by clicking here.
- Are they on social media? Visit Compassion International’s Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook accounts.
To learn more about The Underdog Tribune’s efforts to do some good, click here. Now back to your regularly scheduled blog programming…
For more independent Mississippi State news and commentary, follow The Underdog Tribune on Facebook and Twitter. Follow Ethan Lee on Facebook and Twitter.