The Mississippi State softball team needed a big win and that’s exactly what the Bulldogs got in game 2 of the series with the Tennessee Lady Vols. Mississippi State bounced back after getting run-ruled in game 1 to beat the Lady Vols 8-3 in game 2.
The Bulldogs relied heavily upon home runs to get on the board, but the Bulldogs were able to consistently hit home runs en route to that 8-3 win.
Mississippi State first got on the board thanks to a 2-run home run from Chloe Malau’ulu in the top of the 1st inning. The home run was huge and it put the Bulldogs in a great spot early on in the game.
Unfortunately, Tennessee fought back and got right back into the game, tying things up. Thankfully, Mia Davidson put Mississippi State back on top with a solo home run in the 3rd inning.
Jackie McKenna added another three runs onto the scoreboard thanks to a 3-run home run in the same inning, giving the Bulldogs an insurmountable 6-2 lead over the Lady Vols.
The Bulldogs would add another two runs thanks to timely hitting and Tennessee would attempt to mount a comeback late as the Lady Vols scored another run of their own, but Mississippi State was able to tie the series up thanks to that 8-3 victory over Tennessee.
Mississippi State softball: Bulldogs look to take series from Lady Vols on Sunday
Saturday afternoon, the Bulldogs outhit Tennessee 12-5. While the Bulldogs had a trio of home runs, Mississippi State’s pitching staff kept the Lady Vols from hitting a home run at all. The duo of Kenley Hawk and Annie Willis kept Tennessee quiet for most of the afternoon as Hawk and Willis combined to record seven strikeouts Saturday.
With the win, Mississippi State is now 24-11 overall on the season. The Bulldogs are currently 5-3 in SEC play. Meanwhile, Tennessee is now 24-10 overall and 6-4 in SEC play. Both the Bulldogs and the Lady Vols could use a series win to improve in the SEC standings.
Game 3 of this series will take place on Sunday at 11 a.m. CT. Here’s everything you need to know heading into game 3 between the Bulldogs and the Lady Vols
Mississippi State softball vs. Tennessee 2022: Weather forecast
The Bulldogs might want to bundle up a bit while they’re in Knoxville. The weather should be pretty good for this series, but most of the games will be a little chilly. Here’s what the weather forecast looks like for Knoxville for when the games will get started on Sunday, according to Weather.com.
- Sunday, April 3: 52 degrees and sunny
Mississippi State softball vs. Tennessee 2022: 3 opposing players to watch
- Kiki Milloy: Throughout the season, Kiki Milloy has been solid at the plate. She’s a dangerously consistent hitter and also happens to lead the Lady Vols in home runs. With a .386 batting average and 11 home runs on the season, Milloy is someone the Bulldogs will need to account for this weekend.
- Zaida Puni: While she may not be quite as good as Milloy, Zaida Puni is another dangerous hitter that Mississippi State will need to keep an eye on. So far this season, Puni has a .289 batting average and has managed to hit 7 home runs. Puni is prone to being struck out with 24 strikeouts so far on the season, but if she gets contact, there’s a decent chance that ball will end up out of the park.
- Erin Edmoundson: The Tennessee Lady Vols have an incredibly good pitcher on their roster in Erin Edmoundson. The graduate student from Deer Park, Texas, has shown that she can be effective time and time again this season. At the moment, Edmoundson has a 1.64 ERA and has managed to strike out 83 of the batters she’s faced in 102.1 innings pitched.
Mississippi State softball vs. Tennessee 2022 series schedule
- Game 3: Mississippi State vs. Tennessee – April 3 at 11 a.m.
How to watch Mississippi State softball: Bulldogs on the road vs. Tennessee
Games 1 and 2 of the Bulldogs facing off against the Lady Vols will be available to watch on SEC Network+. Game 3, on Sunday, will be broadcast on SEC Network. All three games can be streamed online or by using the ESPN app. Click the following links below to watch the Bulldogs battle the Razorbacks.
Keep up with Mississippi State softball online: Twitter
- Are you looking for live stats to keep up with the Mississippi State softball series against the Tennessee Lady Vols? Click here.
- Looking for the official Mississippi State softball twitter account? You can find that by clicking here.
Let’s do some good
- Who? Compassion International
- What do they do? Through partnering with local churches and communities across the globe, Compassion International is able to make an impact and help elevate children out of poverty. Their goal is to “release children from poverty,” provide opportunities for education, and to teach communities about Jesus.
- How can I learn more about them? Check out Compassion International’s about page by clicking here.
- Are they on social media? Visit Compassion International’s Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook accounts.
Categories: Mississippi State Softball