The Mississippi State Bulldogs are back in the College World Series championship series. For the second time ever, the Mississippi State baseball team will compete for a national title.
MSU earned the right to compete against the Vanderbilt Commodores for a championship after the Bulldogs beat Texas. Taking down the Texas Longhorns proved to be a difficult task, but Mississippi State demonstrated that it deserved to contend for a championship this season.
The Bulldogs and Commodores get things started Monday evening at 6 p.m.
Mississippi State news from The Underdog Tribune:
- ‘Paint that city maroon’: Former Mississippi State baseball players encourage MSU fans to get to Omaha – The Bulldogs are looking to get their first national title and a few former Mississippi State baseball players want as many Mississippi State baseball fans as possible to be there to cheer the Bulldogs on.
- WATCH: Tanner Leggett eliminates Longhorns with walk-off hit – The Mississippi State Bulldogs have beaten the Texas Longhorns once again! For the third time this season, Mississippi State has found a way to beat the University of Texas.
- Mississippi State eliminates Texas, advances to College World Series finals – Saturday evening, the Mississippi State baseball team faced off against the Texas Longhorns in a win-or-go-home situation in the College World Series.
- Mississippi State remembers Alex Wilcox 3 years after she passed away – The Mississippi State Bulldogs are remembering Alex Wilcox three years after she passed away. Wilcox died after battling ovarian cancer, but she will always be remembered in Starkville and by the Mississippi State community.
- Record number of Mississippi State Bulldogs recognized on SEC Spring Academic Honor Roll – Mississippi State student-athletes aren’t just finding success on the field or on the court, the Bulldogs are also thriving in the classroom.
- 3 Mississippi State Bulldogs land on USA Baseball Collegiate National team – A few members of the Mississippi State baseball team are set to represent the Bulldogs on one of the most prestigious collections of college baseball players around. Three Mississippi State Bulldogs have been invited to join the 2021 USA Baseball Collegiate National team.
What’s happening elsewhere?
- It was terrifyingly and absurdly hot out west over the weekend and that almost certainly impacted the US Olympic track trials. Eugene, Oregon got up to 112 degrees. That’s a record. That’s not a good record! There are folks out in the Pacific Northwest who don’t have air conditioning or any prior experience with temperatures that hot because it doesn’t get that hot there. It’s like when dangerously cold weather impacts the South. It’s not good!
- Tanner Allen has made it to the College World Series more times during his career than Ole Miss has in the past FIVE DECADES. And for some reason Ole Miss fans are trying to dunk on Allen because of his pants? TANNER ALLEN HAS SEEN MORE COLLEGE BASEBALL SUCCESS THAN OLE MISS HAS IN HALF A CENTURY. THAT IS A VERY LONG TIME!
And I’m sure I’ll get some flak for pointing this out, but it’s not like Ole Miss is bad at college baseball. The Rebels have a pretty solid program that many teams across the country would be envious of! That is fair to say! * EXTREME STEPHEN A. SMITH VOICE* HOWEVER!!! IT IS ALSO FAIR TO SAY THERE IS A GULF BETWEEN MISSISSIPPI STATE AND OLE MISS BASEBALL RIGHT NOW AND THE BULLDOGS ARE A FAR SUPERIOR TEAM AND THAT GULF IS JUST GETTING WIDER AND WIDER AS EACH YEAR PASSES!!!!
STOP WORRYING ABOUT PANTS!!!!!
Today we’re listening to a couple different songs.
Let’s get things started with Holly Williams and “Waiting on June.” Williams, who happens to be Hank Williams’ granddaughter, actually explains the story behind the song at the beginning of the video. It’s haunting and joyful and beautiful and full of life and all of everything that comes with life, the ups and downs and chaos and love. Give it a listen. You’ll be doing yourself a favor.
Let’s move to Tyler Childers’ “Tattoos.” If you’re looking for plenty of fiddle, thoughtful lyrics, beautiful imagery, and great storytelling about heartbreak and moving on, it’s hard to find a song that’s better for you than this one.
With the College World Series set to start, NCAA baseball fans from all over the country will be headed to Omaha, Nebraska, to watch the country’s eight best teams play each other with the goal of winning a championship. While it’s often overlooked, Omaha is a city that deserves more credit for everything it has to offer.
I actually had the pleasure of living in Omaha for a couple of years and, despite the bitter winters, I thoroughly enjoyed my time living in the Midwest.
Omaha is a wonderful city with a great food scene, plenty of bars (especially sports bars), and a solid amount of nightlife.
There’s always something happening somewhere in town and, thanks to the size and layout of the city, it’s pretty easy to get just about anywhere you need within 20 to 30 minutes.
If you’ve got the opportunity to go see the College World Series, you should definitely take it.
And if you’ll be in Omaha, it’s worth getting a few ideas on what to do while you’re there. That’s what this guide is for, to help you get some ideas on what to do during your trip to see your team in the CWS.
Categories: Starkville Stuff